Graffiti estimated to be more than 150 years old has been unearthed during conservation works at Anglesea Barracks Hobart.

The bricks have been identified as being part of the Military Prison at Anglesea Barracks which was built in 1847 for the imprisonment and punishment of British soldiers serving in the colony.

The building continued to be used as a prisonĀ until the departure of the last British Regiment in late 1870.